Thursday, June 16, 2011

Amazing Night Sky!

Last night, each of the Biospherian STEM Teachers (including me) received a Galileoscope to observe the night sky.  It needed to be assembled which made me a little nervous about whether it would work or not.  It has several lenses inside that have to work perfectly with each other.  Otherwise, you will have obscured vision and nothing will focus correctly. 
We could see a full moon coming over the horizon at about 7:00pm.  We all hollered with excitement, because it was the first chance we had to use our telescopes.  My first view was obscured by what I thought was dust and lint particles.  I was somewhat discouraged that perhaps I may have to reassemble my telescope.  After several minutes and focus attempts, I finally had a clear view!  It worked!!!  The moon was so large and beautiful!  I noticed the craters and crevices without any trouble. 
An astronomer from Lunt Solar Systems, Jerry Farrar, explained some of the research he has done on the sun.  He brought his mega-telescope which allowed us to view the moon, Saturn, and star clusters.  So BEAUTIFUL!  I tried to take a picture through his lens with my camera, but it did not work. Another teacher, however, took a picture of Saturn which I'll post on my blog. 
Then with just looking into the sky with our eyes, we also saw the space station floating across the sky.  I was surprised that it was large enough to see an actual shape.  It is my understanding that there are a few Russian scientists up there.  I think I heard someone say that the space station is about 100 miles from earth just above the earth's atmosphere.
 Here are just a few photos.




My New Telescope

Saturn!

No comments:

Post a Comment