Thursday, June 16, 2011

Biobottles: A Closed System



A Portable Biosphere
 Here is a closed system which consist of 3 levels with living animals in each one. 
The bottom layer has a Beta fish enclosed with carbon, gravel, live plants and  water.
The middle layer has soil from the B2 Savannah biome, compost soil and four earth worms.
The top layer has air and a marigold plant.  At the very top, is an orange lung to capture CO2.
I chose a young fish, so that it can live for a long time.  It will be on display in my classroom.  Come by to see it. 



What should we name the fish?


Marigold in top layer.

5 comments:

  1. That is soooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most amazing part is I never have to feed the fish, and he's perfectly happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam Sutherland 6th grader 5:14PM
    I am Adam S and last year I was Mrs. Koehler's class. We buildt bio bottles. My bio bottle fish is still alive after 185 days even though my worm died and top plant died. My water is super scummy but my fish is still kicking!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does the fish survive? What does it eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I was creating the Bio-Bottle, I was told that Betta fish will eat the water plants when sealed inside the bio-bottle. Supposedly, water plants are not toxic to Betta fish. The plants’ roots grow down into the water and absorbs small amounts of waste produced by the betta fish. The plant also produces oxygen into the air. I also think the size of the container helped reduce the growth of the plant, so that it did not become too large. One of the best water plants to use is the Chinese Evergreen, it tolerates very low lighting and it’s a hydroponic plant. I forget the name of the plant I used. A thick cotton string or rope hung down into the aquatic level and soaked up the water to the terrestrial level. It kept the plant in the terrestrial level moist, while the soil cleaned the water for the aquatic level. Thus, we have a balance of living organisms. Just recently, I received an email from a student who told me that that his fish lived for over a year in his bio-bottle without making any changes.

      Delete